April is National Poetry Month, and although I am not a faithful reader of poetry, I do have my favorite poets and poems. During the month of April, I will be posting some of those here on the blog, for everyone’s reading enjoyment. “Invictus” has been my favorite poem for around twenty years now; I […]
Archive | National Poetry Month RSS feed for this archive
April 3, 2012
April 1, 2012
March was a bad month for me in terms of mood, reading books, and blogging. I have been very distracted for reasons that aren’t appropriate for me to write about here, and it has been more important for me to spend my time listening/talking to my friends and trying to spread some goodness into a […]
Book Love: A Family Affair
--My dad, 4/29/12
- Review: Immortal Bird by Doron Weber May 14, 2013
- Review: Frozen in Time by Mitchell Zuckoff May 9, 2013
- April 2013 Reading Wrap-Up and May Plans May 5, 2013
- Review: Amity & Sorrow by Peggy Riley May 4, 2013
- Breakfast & Books: This Week, Part Deux May 1, 2013
- Armchair BEA 2012: An Introduction June 4, 2012
- Altogether, 2012 in the Shire was a marvelous year. August 29, 2012
- Dearest Joey: Putting it in the freezer didn’t make me feel safer. February 8, 2013
- Armchair BEA: My “Best of 2012″ Featuring Books From Barbara Kingsolver and Zadie Smith June 5, 2012
- Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you…the Year of Reading Whatever the F*ck I Want! January 1, 2013
- readinpleasure: Heather, this is a very good and honest review and...
- RebeccaScaglione - Love at First Book: Ugh it is soooooo frustrating to read that Damon's...
- Michael Stanley, author of Deadly Harvest, on tour May 2013 | TLC Book Tours: […] Wednesday, May 1st: Between the Covers [...
- Heather J. @ TLC: "Greenland sounds like my version of Hell" AGREED!...
- readinpleasure: Very intriguing. Excellent review, Heather...
- @Jelzmar Me, me! :) 5 hours ago
- RT @RowenaMonde: And regarding the movie trailers they showed before the movie, it's so sad that special effects seem to have replaced good… 5 hours ago
- @Jelzmar And when people use SmartStream, the conversations can't be viewed on ANY app. Not even mobile ones. 6 hours ago
Book Club Reads — April / May 2013
- #TuesBookTalk: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe
#TuesBookTalk meets on Twitter every Tuesday night from 9:30-10:30pm ET. Not on Twitter? No problem! We also have a group on Goodreads where you can share your thoughts. Anyone is welcome to join us--if you're interested, click the link above to be taken to Goodreads for more detailed information!
- #1book140: The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
#1book140 is an international Twitter book club, created by Jeff Howe and hosted by The Atlantic. Anyone is welcome to join, and you can find more information on The Atlantic's website by clicking the link above, or by following @1book140 and the #1book140 hashtag on Twitter. There is also an unofficial website--1Blog140, the verbose extension to #1book140--where participants can contribute to the conversation using more than 140 characters.
- The Next Best Book Club (TNBBC): Fight for Your Long Day, by Alex Kudera
TNBBC (Goodreads) is hosted by Lori of TNBBC (the blog). Discussion of Fight for Your Long Day will be taking place in the TNBBC Goodreads group from May 15 through May 30. If you're interested in joining the discussion, click either of the links above for more information.
- BOOK CLUB: The Golem and the Jinni, by Helene Wecker
BOOK CLUB is hosted by Jen of Devourer of Books and Nicole of Linus's Blanket. The discussion for The Golem and the Jinni will be taking place on Devourer of Books on May 21. If you're interested in participating in future BOOK CLUB discussions, keep your eyes on Jen's and Nicole's blogs for their giveaway/sign-up posts!
Project Read All Of Atwood
Here's the schedule:
The Edible Woman (1969)
Lady Oracle (1976)
Dancing Girls (1977)
Life Before Man (1979)
Bodily Harm (1981)
Murder in the Dark (1983)
Bluebeard’s Egg (1983)
The Handmaid’s Tale (1985)
Cat’s Eye (1988)
Wilderness Tips (1991)
Good Bones (1992)
MAY -- The Robber Bride (1993)
JUN -- Alias Grace (1996)
JUL -- The Labrador Fiasco (1996)
AUG -- The Blind Assassin (2000)
SEP -- Oryx and Crake (2003)
OCT -- The Penelopiad (2005)
NOV -- The Tent (2006)
DEC -- Moral Disorder (2006)
JAN -- The Year of the Flood (2009)
I am an Amazon.com, Book Depository, and IndieBound Affiliate, as well as a Powell's Books Partner. If you click on a link for a book shown on my blog (or the Amazon / IndieBound / Powell's links above), and make a purchase through those links, I receive a small percentage of that sale. This money will be used to pay for upkeep of the blog and to purchase more books.