TTT: My Favorite Sites/Blogs (That Aren’t About Books)

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week’s Top Ten Tuesday asks us to list our ten favorite blogs or websites that aren’t about books. This is going to be rather hard for me, because I read a lot of great blogs that aren’t specifically about literary things. You can check out the list of all the non-book blogs I read on a regular basis on my other website (heh heh…shameless plug), where I write about (mostly) non-book subjects.

Two of the subjects that I’m most interested in and committed too, aside from books, are politics and social justice. In fact, my good friend Fab has given me a pseudo-superhero name because of that: The Crusader for Justice. Unfortunately, I can’t count on the mainstream media to keep me apprised of what I feel I need to know, so I read the following blogs on a daily basis to stay informed:

Now, I have never been a “girly girl.” I’m not very into the fashion scene; just give me a t-shirt and a pair of jeans and I’m good. I also haven’t been into painting my fingernails in years (like…10 years? 15?). But the following two blogs are owned by friends of mine, and I read every post:

• The Fashionista Next Door — Eboni is a successful fashion blogger in Atlanta, Georgia (and she’s married to my aforementioned friend Fab). Even though I’m not really into the fashion scene, I love reading Eboni’s blog and looking at the pictures of her latest ensembles (and I have to admit–some of the shoes she buys are pretty kick-ass). I also like to tease her about how different our tastes can be sometimes, but it’s all in fun.
  • Polish2Times — Cheryl gives herself some of the most awesome manicures. If I were still interested in doing my nails, I would definitely try some of them. She puts a lot of work into her manicures, and it shows. If you’re looking for new ideas for your own manicures, I highly recommend checking out Cheryl’s polish blog.

Eboni and Cheryl also love to read, and the three of us share a lot of the same tastes in books. Score!

I love music, and although I enjoy listening to almost every kind of music (aside from country music, which I’ve never been able to get into), I am a true hip-hop head. Love hip-hop? You should really check these blogs out:

Well, that’s ten. You know what, though? There are a few more I’d like to bring your attention to, so screw it…I’m going to cheat this week. The last (but not least) five blogs I’d like to give credit to all bring something a little different to the blogging community. If I had to use one word to describe what all of these fine people write about, that word would be “life,” and they write about it very well–the funny stuff, the serious stuff, and everything in between. I call these my “Blogs Without Borders”:

There are other blogs that I just couldn’t list here (having already gone over my limit); if you’re interested, you can check out the list on my other blog that I linked to at the beginning of this post.

Have a good week, everyone!

• ProfMomEsq May 22, 2012, 7:20 pm

So, first I was thinking, Yay! TTT!, because you know I love lists. Then, I got excited because I’m so with you about the fashion. I don’t wear it, but it’s like art – fun and inspiring and interesting to see. (Except the shoes. I will drop ALL the money on cute shoes, especially if II won’t need to drop ALL the money on a podiatrist after wearing them). Then – THEN – you said not just that you’re not so much a country music fan but you like hip-hop. Heyyyyyy ayyyyy yaaaaa. Shake it like a Polaroid picture!
    So, I’m thinking, This is one of the best TTT’s ever! when BAM! Is that the name of my blog?!? HOLY CANNOLI!!
    Thank you! I am so flattered that I made your list I cannot even express it. Hell, I’m flattered that anyone gives me their valuable time to read my random rants, but it is especially cool to be worthy of a TTT mention, particularly in the company of the other brilliant bloggers you follow!

Thank you times infinity squared. :-)

• Heather May 22, 2012, 8:16 pm

You are so very welcome. I love your blog. It deserves to be on this list.

My love of hip-hop has a funny/weird background story–I grew up in a small town (big farming area) where almost everyone listens to country music, and I’ve never liked it. And I fell in love with hip-hop when I was 12 or 13 years old. My parents were hippies, so they listened to a lot of 60′s/70′s rock music, but they are also big fans of blues, jazz, funk, etc, so that is the kind of music I was raised with. I think I fell in love with hip-hop because it is a natural progression of those latter genres, and a mixture of them all. Also, I was a dancer for a very long time, and there is just something about a good beat that still makes me want to start dancing, no matter where I happen to be at the time (you should see me in the grocery store if Janet Jackson is playing).

• lucysfootball May 22, 2012, 9:32 pm

Aw! A list! I’m on a LIST? I’m NEVER on a list! This is very exciting! Thank you so, so much!

And also, YAY, new blogs to check out! Can’t wait to get reading! :)

• Heather May 22, 2012, 9:38 pm

You’re on a list! You should be on lots of lists! But definitely not the be-an-ass-to-these-people-in-the-theater list. That’s a list you should never, ever be on.

• lucysfootball May 22, 2012, 9:41 pm

Aw, blush. You’re the best. Thank you! I feel like a winner! :)

• Tanya Patrice May 22, 2012, 10:11 pm

Love the list and seeing all these new to me blogs! And I’m so with you – not really a fashionista type girl but I have exactly 2 tha I follow for inspiration.

• Amritorupa Kanjilal May 23, 2012, 12:18 am

Since you are a dancer, I had thought you would be a very hoity toity fashion concious lady. It gives me so much joy to know you are a fashion pariah just like me :)
    Thank you for the list! will check out all these blogs, except perhaps the manicure one. Manicures scare the bees out of me!

• Heather May 23, 2012, 10:18 am

Oh no– no hoity toity fashion for me! Haha! You should check out the manicure blog just to oooh and aaah over her designs. They’re pretty cool. :)

• Alexis May 23, 2012, 12:52 am

A very cool list! I’m a fan of Feministing and Democracy Now. I’ll have to check out the Fashionista Next Door; it sounds really fun and practical too, which is a rare trait for a fashion blog. Just also checked out Polish2Times, and it fills me with total envy and admiration since I can’t give myself a simple manicure to save my life. Wish I could though!

• Heather May 23, 2012, 10:20 am

I’m so glad to hear that I’ve given people so many new blogs to check out. Eboni’s fashion blog is quite practical, and I just love Cheryl’s nail designs, even if I’ll never attempt them.

*Democracy Now and Feministing high five*

• Andi (@estellasrevenge) May 23, 2012, 10:11 am

Thanks for sharing these! I’m interested in all of these topics, and I think the blogs/sites are all new-to-me. :D

• Heather May 23, 2012, 10:21 am

Great! Thanks for stopping by to check the list out!