New Reading Project: Margaret Atwood

Yesterday, Brenna of Literary Musings blogged about her favorite book blogs (which you should really check out because there are some really great blogs listed there). I was only familiar with three of the blogs on her list, so I checked out the rest and added them to my RSS reader.

Margaret AtwoodOne of those blogs is Dog Ear Discs, and Brenna mentioned that he had started a project to read all of Margaret Atwood’s fiction (novels and short fiction collections). Be still, my heart. That was the first post I read when I went to check his blog out, and I immediately started looking at my reading “schedule” to see if I would be able to join him. (If you don’t know of my love for Margaret Atwood, let me tell you that I would have found the time to do this no matter what.) Here’s what Dog Ear has to say about Project Read All Of Atwood:

Of course, it will take me some time to read all of her work so I have some rules.

• I will only be reading her fiction – novels and short story collections.
  • I will only read one book per month, so as not to get in the way of the rest of the TBR and review copies.
  • I will talk about each book here once I’ve read them.
  • I will, of course, be starting with her debut and ending on her most current work at that moment.

He is urging others to join if they’re interested, so if any of my readers would like to join in, please head over to Dog Ear Discs, read his Project Read All Of Atwood post, and let him know that you’re reading along! He has posted the reading schedule/list of books in his sidebar–I have done that here as well–and the first book is The Edible Woman, which we’re reading this month.

Now, Atwood is one of my favorite authors; I have read all of her novels and two or three of her short fiction collections, but it has been a long time since I’ve read some of them–too long, really. I could not be more excited about this project, not only because I’ll be re-reading some of my favorite books, but also because I’ll be reading the short story collections that I hadn’t gotten around to reading, yet. Thank you, Dog Ear, for starting this wonderful project, and thank you, Brenna, for bringing it to my attention!

But enough talk… on to The Edible Woman!

• Reading Wrap-Up: May 2012 | Between the Covers June 1, 2012, 6:01 pm

[...] I got a ton of reading done in May, although not so much of it counted towards the challenges I’m participating in. I have been doing a lot of re-reading–I finished re-reading all of Toni Morrison’s fiction, and now I’m re-reading all of Margaret Atwood’s fiction as part of a project started by Dog Ear Discs. [...]

• youngcleanlegit May 16, 2012, 7:44 pm

Nice! There are too many authors that I need to do this with.

• Heather May 16, 2012, 7:47 pm

Me, too. I just finished re-reading all of Toni Morrison’s fiction and it was such a great experience. I couldn’t believe how much more I got out of her books with 10-20 years of experience between readings.

• Geoff W May 16, 2012, 9:08 pm

Love, love, love Margaret Atwood! I’m looking forward to your review of The Blind Assassin and of course The Handmaid’s Tale. I’ve got two,maybe three, of her novels on my shelf to be read.

• Heather May 16, 2012, 9:16 pm

The Handmaid’s Tale was my introduction to Margaret Atwood, and also spurred my first real thoughts about feminism and what it means to be a woman–I read it for the first time when I was in my early/mid-teens. It’s still my favorite. The Edible Woman is my second favorite, and it had a lot to do with my waiting so long to get married. I think Cat’s Eye ties for second because I could really relate to the story (I won’t say why, in case you haven’t read that one). Some of my favorite quotes from Atwood’s fiction comes from The Blind Assassin, and I actually just re-read that one within the last year.

I’m looking forward to re-reading all of them and blogging about my re-reading experience now that so many years have gone by since my last reading of some of them. It should be interesting.

• Geoff W May 17, 2012, 9:15 am

I read Handmaid in undergrad and found it incredibly striking and memorable and then when I read Assassin I realized how awesome of a writer she was (even though I knew it already). I am definitely looking forward to expanding my reading of her. You should also follow her on Twitter if you don’t – she’s hilarious!

• Dog Ear May 17, 2012, 5:37 am

So pleased to have some company on my Margaret Atwood Project! I can’t wait to get started. Thank you for bringing more eyes to the project, Heather :)

Dan.

• Heather May 17, 2012, 7:06 am

You’re welcome! I’m really looking forward to it.

• Amritorupa Kanjilal May 17, 2012, 11:49 pm

I joined too. I have enjoyed whatever little I have read of Margaret Atwood, and i am totally looking forward to reading more!

• Heather May 18, 2012, 11:18 am

Yay! I’m glad you’re going to read along with us!

• Brenna (@LitMusings) May 18, 2012, 10:22 am

Heather, I am so happy you are going to participate! Dog Ear Disk is awesome, and I’m so glad you got a chance to visit. Thank you for the mention :) I look forward to coming back often to check in on your Atwood project.

• Heather May 18, 2012, 11:19 am

I am so happy you blogged about it. You gave me a bunch of new-to-me blogs to follow.

• Vasilly May 19, 2012, 6:30 pm

Sadly, I haven’t read anything by Atwood yet. I need to change that soon. Happy reading and good luck on your project! :-)

• Vikk May 20, 2012, 6:46 pm

Wow, that is one heady schedule of Atwood reading. :) Not sure I can keep up with that given all the other books screaming for attention but I may find a way to join in one or two months along the way. Thanks for the heads up. (Love the quote about putting the bookcases and then building the house. :)

• Heather May 20, 2012, 8:23 pm

You are welcome to join us for as few or as many as you’d like. :)

I’m glad you like the quote–I don’t think there was an ounce of jest in it, either. Haha! If he gets his way, that’s exactly what he’ll do.

• thetruebookaddict May 29, 2012, 2:18 am

Well, I’m officially signed up! I posted on my challenge blog here: http://truebookaddictchallenges.blogspot.com/2012/05/margaret-atwood-project.html

Trying to get Edible Woman read this week. Thank goodness we haven’t started Middlemarch yet!

• Heather May 29, 2012, 2:42 pm

Yay! I left a comment over on your post. :)

• christinasr June 5, 2012, 6:13 am

I’ve read Alias Grace and The Handmaid’s Tale and I really liked both. I haven’t gotten further with Atwood’s work though even though I think I will really like it. I need to explore her work a bit more before committing to read all her works. Any recommendations to what my next Atwood read should be?

• Heather June 5, 2012, 6:57 am

The Edible Woman and Cat’s Eye are two of my favorites. Give those a shot and see what you think.